What causes asthma?
The exact cause of asthma isn't known. It's possible that a combination of genetics and environmental exposures interact to cause asthma to develop, most often early in life. Risk factors for developing asthma include:
- Atopy, an inherited tendency to develop allergies
- Certain respiratory infections during childhood
- Contact with airborne allergens
- Exposure to viral infections
- Parents who have asthma
- An asthma attack occurs when asthma symptoms become worse than usual.
For more on the causes of asthma, read here.